Required Permits

All construction projects in Ashland may require one or more permits and/or agreements, depending on the type of work. Before beginning any construction project in Ashland, please call the town to determine what types of permits and/or agreements you may need.

If you already know what you need, you can download the appropriate forms required by selecting the type of permit or agreement from the list below:

As of July 1, 2014, you must register with the Town of Ashland to obtain coverage under the VSMP Construction General Permit.

Permits Require a Bond

Additionally, most permits and agreements also require a bond, which is held by the town until all related work is completed and approved by town. Bond amounts are either determined by the project engineer’s cost estimate for the type of work being done or, in the case of single-family homes, are set by town staff. All cost estimates must be approved by town staff.

Bonds may either be paid for in cash or through a bonding company or bank. When using a bonding company or bank, the approved town bond form must be used. Download the appropriate bond form below:

Before Digging

Before doing any digging, contact Virginia 811 to have utilities marked.

Additional Information

Development Review Fee Schedule

If you have any questions about what types of permits, agreements, or bonds your construction project may require, please contact the Engineering Department for information and assistance by calling (804) 752-6875.