How to Recycle
Most Ashland residents can participate in convenient collection of recyclables from the curb. Recycling is easy and benefits the environment. Just follow these three easy steps:
Get a Cart
One 96-gallon wheeled / lidded cart is provided for each eligible household (additional carts may be purchased through the Central Virginia Waste Management Authority website).
Fill it Up
The following materials are accepted for recycling:
- Cardboard and corrugated cardboard boxes
- Glass bottles and jars - Clear, brown, and green food and beverage containers
- Mixed paper - Newspaper, magazines, catalogs, computer paper, junk mail, cereal and other paperboard, boxes and paper bags
- Plastic #1 - #7 containers
- Waxy-coated cartons and boxes (such as milk cartons and juice boxes)
- Steel and aluminum cans - Aluminum beverage cans, metal cans, including food and beverage cans
- Plastic caps and lids - place back on containers when recycling
Set it Out
Collection day is every other Monday. You can view the collection schedule for printing or downloading (Ashland's collection falls on the Red Mondays); you may also sign up to receive text and email reminders (on our Notify Me page, select Trash/Recycling Reminders & Notices under Alert Center). If you have any other questions about recycling or your recycling is not collected on the scheduled day, you can call the Recycling Hotline at (804) 340-0900.
Recycling Perks is a program offered by the CVWMA that allows residents to earn points for recycling. The points can then be redeemed for discounts and coupons at local retailers and restaurants. To register for this program, visit http://recyclingperks.com/purl/ASHLAND
Alternate Location Collection
If you are unable to take your recycling to the curb on account of limited mobility due to age or a medical condition, please contact the town to find out about alternate location collection.